Monday, November 20, 2006

"The Confidence Decoy" by Ann Beattie

From The New Yorker (November 27, 2006 issue):

Francis would be driving his Lexus back from Maine. His wife, Bernadine, had left early that morning, taking their cat, Simple Man, home to Connecticut with her. Their son, Sheldon, had promised to be home to help out when the moving truck arrived, but that was before he’d got a phone call from his girlfriend, saying that she would be flying into J.F.K. that afternoon. So he was gone—when was Sheldon not outta there?—though the moving men were perfectly capable of unloading furniture without anyone’s help. What had Bernadine imagined—that Sheldon would have ideas about decorating, about what should go where?

Francis’s aunt had died, and, since he was one of only two surviving relatives and the other, Uncle Lewis, was in an assisted-living facility in California, the emptying of her summer house had fallen to Francis. Uncle Lewis had asked for the pie safe and for the bench in the entryway, nothing else, maybe an Oriental rug, if the colors were still good and it wasn’t very big. Francis had rolled up the small Tabriz, which he tied with string and put in the bottom of the pie safe.

A few days earlier, Sheldon had taken his father aside to ask his advice: should he become engaged to his girlfriend now, or get the first year, or even the first two years, of law school behind him first? Sheldon and Lucy had already discussed marriage, and she seemed in no hurry, but he hadn’t liked her going off to teach English in Japan with no engagement ring on her finger. Francis thought Lucy a nice young woman, pretty, neither shy nor aggressive, but, really, despite the many occasions on which they’d interacted, he could not get much of a sense of her. She’d twice been involved in car accidents in the past year, both times when she was driving, but that didn’t necessarily mean anything—three times would have been more definitive. The biggest clue Francis had got about Lucy had come one morning after she’d spent the night, when she’d come down to breakfast late, wearing a T-shirt and jeans, and trailing her underpants in one leg of the jeans. Bernadine had whispered to her, and Lucy had turned bright-red and snatched up the underpants, stuffing them down the front of her jeans. She’d had no sense of humor about it at all. Well, he couldn’t imagine having come downstairs at the Streetmans’ (what would it be—forty-some years ago?) after sleeping with Bern, because no such thing would ever have happened. They would have had him arrested. But this was a different age, and he had no objection to Lucy’s sleeping with Sheldon in their house. They put their cups and saucers in the sink, and were extremely quiet. The TV in Sheldon’s bedroom never went on, as Bern had pointed out.

[Read the full story here through November 26, 2006.]

4 comments:

Scholiast said...

I liked this one a lot better than the last one.. Not that I particularly disliked the other one. Possibly it's because it's a male narrator here - I've always felt more at home in a male mind (yea, figures..). And the title appealed to me immediately, I think because I had no idea what she was on about...

Even though there are more than 3 people involved (as Josh so poignantly pointed out last time..), there's really only 3 - Francis and the movers - that we get to know a little. His wife and son are just a blur (to me), and even though we get to know things about Lucy it's not really her personality shining through, just facts (of life).

I particularly liked the part where Francis was driving to see the decoys, and had his inner lawyer questioning him as to the smartness of this.. And I'd really like an egret like that!

The plane accident didn't upset me at all, I was calmly reading on to see if Lucy was dead or what.. (And I was neither relieved nor disappointed that she was still alive.)

I liked ms Beattie's style, fluency -- and I especially enjoyed how she (twice?) just skipped to the next meaningful part. Like straight from the motel to Lucy's bedside - the ride between was unimportant (and I'd half decided to leaf through it (if that can be done online), to see what happened next, but then didn't have to.. ) - my thoughts exactly..

- and Kath is alright, between friends ;)

Scholiast said...

.. forgot to say I liked the ending too, even if the decoy allusion was a little obvious..

Unknown said...

Hey Scholiast! Need I say again how fabulous you are? ;) Sorry I haven't commented earlier. Because of that dear old American holiday Thanksgiving I've been in transit between New York and Minnesota and doing all kinds of family stuff.

But, now that I have a little quiet time on Sunday morning, let's get to it.

So this time we have another story told in seven parts. Compared to the last story, which had three characters, we now have six: Francis (husband and point of view character), Bernadine (wife of Francis), Sheldon (son of Francis), Lucy (Sheldon's girlfriend/fiancee?), and then the movers, Don (the one who wants to impress) and Jim (the older one, who makes the decoys).

The story, Ms. Scholiast says, really does become about the movers. Strangely, the relationship between the two reminded me of Truman Capote's book "In Cold Blook" and the characters of Dick Hickcock and Perry Smith. It seemed like a similar relationship. I, too, enjoyed it when we heard Francis's thoughts about what he would say if asked later why he followed these two strange men into the woods back to the decoy shop. Part of what I liked about that details of hearing Francis's defense is that I think it's something many people do in their heads and don't admit, but Ann Beattie went ahead and put it all out there, and I think when a lot of people laugh or smirk when they read those lines, they're doing so because they recognize that behavior in themselves. That brings some credibility to the story.

I know it's strange, but Lucy ended up being my favorite character. I liked her the most. Francis seemed to be a waffling middle-aged man, Bernadine the mildly frustrated wife, Sheldon the waffling offspring, and the two movers didn't excite me much one way or another. Lucy seemed perhaps the only one who was interesting, or maybe had a spine, even if she was a bit stiff (e.g. the panties stuck in the bottom of her jeans and her embarrassment about it).

I'm not sure what to take away from the story exactly. I like the idea of a confidence decoy and see how it could be used to great effect in fiction. Other than that, (as American Idol judge Randy would say--hahaha, what a horrible allusion), this story was "just okay" for me.

See y'all next week! Back to my Minnesota vacation.

Scholiast said...

Oh dear, I had forgotten there was a computer ban on Thanksgiving ;)